WFM KUCHNIE history
Shortly after the warfare of 1945 a crew of nine was organised in Wolsztyn devastated by war. Their task was to build a new production plant: a carpentry. In the early years their activities consisted mostly in removing debris and preparing to start production. At the end of 1945 the plant was ready to start production. The products of the new carpentry were mostly used by schools as they were mostly common-room and school chairs. The plant was fully launched on April 13, 1946 under the name of: Wolsztyński Zakład Drzewny (Wolsztyn Wood Factory). Oragnisation-wise, the plant was subject to the Wielkopolskie Union and was given a name of Państwowy Zakład Przemysłu Drzewnego nr 13 w Wolsztynie (National Wood Industry Plant No. 13 in Wolsztyn). The plant produced school furniture most often: chairs, school desks, cabinets, tables, stools, desks and blackboards. The production target was to cover the demand of schools which were being created in large numbers. Modernisation started in December 1946: brick halls were built to replace the wooden ones and were equipped with modern production machines. Thanks to this mass production of kitchen furniture started while employment increased.
Due to the excellent production results on 1 January 1952 the Wolsztyn Plant No. 13 started operating independently from Wielkopolskie Zakłady Przemysłu Drzewnego (Wielkopolska Wood Industry Plant). Wolsztyńska Fabryka Mebli (Wolsztyn Furniture Factory) - WFM was created. It was a form of reward for high work efficiency. WFM has become the largest workplace in Wolsztyn – in 1958 it employed more than 900 employees. The same year a Furniture Machinery Repair Workshop was launched by the factory and the employment increased to 945 people. In the years 1961-1965 there was a significant increase in production. This was due to the modernisation of the production method. The factory started producing segments instead of traditional kitchen furniture made of solid wood. The WFM kitchen sets gained recognition not only in the domestic market but also abroad. The office building in which the display halls were located was also built that year. A boiler room, compressor station, wood drying room and warehouse were built in the factory. The paint shop was rebuilt and the production cycle was partially mechanised. 24 November, 1964, WFM received an award from Prime Minister for production results.
Also production technology changed together with the company. In 60s the factory introduced lacquered board modular kitchen furniture. The 70s is a rapid improvement of paint line technology. Initially, the kitchens were based on lacquered boards – both on the bodies and on the front panels. In the 1980s, the laminated chipboard has been introduced. Since 90s the factory offers custom furniture. Since then the offer was extended by solid wood front panels and front panels made from foiled MDF board. In 70s a Zakładowy Klub Racjonalizatorski (Plant Rationalisation Club) was created on the premises of the plant which supervised the constant modernisation of production technology.
In 1975 the global production value exceeded 104 million zloty. The kitchen sets produced by WFM were a highly sought after commodity in the domestic and international market. In 1980 WFM exported abroad more than 2000 kitchen sets to 5 European countries and had brand stores in Poznań, Warsaw and Kraków among others.
In 1988 the company was privatised and became a part of Skanska and more precisely a part of the Poggenpohl group which belongs to Skanska and which brings together known German and Swedish brands of kitchen furniture. The private owner has restructured the company and adapted its size to market conditions.
In 2003 a new chapter in the history of the company has begun, as it was the year in which WFM became part of the Szynaka Meble group. This allowed for a rapid development of the company and broadening of the range of products. During this period new technologies were introduced: veneered panels and countertops based on HPL and ABS. The company invested in halls and machines and the continuous increase in the volume of sales brought another growth in employment and the scale of the operation.
Today WFM is known as WFM KUCHNIE (WFM KITCHENS). It is a modern production plant employing more than 500 employees. The company's sales network outside of Poland includes, among others, France, England, the Netherlands, Sweden, Germany and Swiss. WFM KUCHNIE bases its activities on 3 core values: professionalism, functionality and empathy. Thanks to them WFM KUCHNIE provide their customers with exceptional quality and functionality.